Black Bean BBQ Burgers
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 1/2 cups cooked black beans
1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup favorite BBQ sauce
1/2 tablespoon oil, plus extra for frying
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin powder
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
1. Cook the brown rice and set aside.
2. Add the sunflower seeds to a skillet and toast them over medium heat for approximately 5 minutes, stirring regularly until they are golden brown. Allow to cool, then add them to a blender (or food processor) with the chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, pepper and brown sugar. Blend on high to create a coarse powder.
3. Sauté the onion, garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil on medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until translucent.
4. Rinse the black beans, dry them with a paper towel and mash them in a large mixing bowl using a potato masher or a fork.
5. In a large bowl mix the rice, sunflower seed mixture, sautéed onion, mashed beans, breadcrumbs and BBQ sauce together. Continue mixing until a pliable dough forms. Using your hands, press the dough into 3/4-inch thick hand-formed patties.
6. Coat a skillet with oil and raise to medium heat. Cook the burger patties for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until well browned. Serve with your favorite burger fixin’s and enjoy!