1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 small onion, diced
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin or 1 tablespoon whole cumin seed
1 tablespoon fennel seed
2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
4 garlic cloves, grated
1 1/2 cups (340 ml) water
2 medium to large potatoes cut into 1-inch cubes
1 small head of cauliflower, roughly chopped
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent and soft, about 8 minutes.
2. Mix in the spices and seeds and stir quickly for about 30 seconds. Add the ginger and garlic and stir for another 30 seconds.
3. Splash a bit of the water into the pot and mix everything together to create a paste. Toss in the potatoes and cauliflower and coat them with the spice paste.
4. Pour in the remaining water and simmer over medium to medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and most of the liquid is gone.
5. Remove from the heat and mix in the cilantro. Season with salt, and then serve.